Building a blog

Post Reply
User avatar
Shawn
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2026 4:13 am

I wanted to learn coding from basic to advanced.

I've always wanted to learn php and mysql.

I decided to start learning HTM5 and CSS again since it's been forever since I last used it. Then I'll move on to everything I need to create my own blogging software.

The goal is to create the software as a way to learn, not to use or offer it, but you never know what might happen when I'm done making it.

Have any of you ever done something like this?
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

User avatar
Jason
Site Admin
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2025 8:56 pm

Shawn wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:05 pm I wanted to learn coding from basic to advanced.

I've always wanted to learn php and mysql.

I decided to start learning HTM5 and CSS again since it's been forever since I last used it. Then I'll move on to everything I need to create my own blogging software.

The goal is to create the software as a way to learn, not to use or offer it, but you never know what might happen when I'm done making it.

Have any of you ever done something like this?
I'm interested in all major coding languages, but not making forums or blogs.

Well, I am interested in creating online educational videos - which seems just as hard!
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

User avatar
Stoic
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:35 am

I believe that starting a completely new platform requires quite a knowledge because modern forum platforms are really good with features. I don't think it is a one man project. Not to mention security breaches.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

User avatar
Jason
Site Admin
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2025 8:56 pm

Stoic wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2026 6:08 am I believe that starting a completely new platform requires quite a knowledge because modern forum platforms are really good with features. I don't think it is a one man project. Not to mention security breaches.
You would need to know the anatomy of a site, just like a mechanic needs to know every part of a car.

And you need to know what all the code means.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

User avatar
Shawn
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2026 4:13 am

Stoic wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2026 6:08 am I believe that starting a completely new platform requires quite a knowledge because modern forum platforms are really good with features. I don't think it is a one man project. Not to mention security breaches.
I want to keep my blogging software very basic.

A few settings, categories, posts, and pages. Once I get that down and admin panel security, then I will expand into comments, SEO, formatting, etc.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

User avatar
Jason
Site Admin
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2025 8:56 pm

I would be satisfied just learning how to make a forum theme. That would be a cool way to make money. :D
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

User avatar
Shawn
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2026 4:13 am

Jason wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2026 6:03 pm I would be satisfied just learning how to make a forum theme. That would be a cool way to make money. :D
Maybe.

I think a blog theme would likely get you more money. There are more bloggers coming into the market than forum owners.

I'd learn more towards WordPress themes.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

Post Reply